Learning the difference between a licensed electrical contractor and an electrician is necessary, as this allows you to choose the right type of electrical professional. A licensed electrical contractor is a professional who performs specific tasks related to the installation, maintenance and design of an entire electrical system. An electrician is also a professional who…
Residential Electrical Wiring Potential Warning Signs
Outdated, poorly installed or damaged electrical wiring are a few of the things that homeowners should not take lightly. According to ESFI, there are approximately 51,000 home electrical fires in the United States each year. This leaves many homeowners with expensive repairs. The good news is that homeowners can prevent electrical fires by looking for potential warning signs.
Common electrical wiring warning signs
Electrical glitches such as burning odor, frequent electrical sparks, flickering lights and other related issues are indicators of electrical wiring problems. Most home wiring problems give early warnings before turning into more severe problems. For safety purposes, homeowners should familiarize themselves with the following electrical wiring warning signs:
Tripping circuit breaker
Circuit breakers are designed to trip when the system is overloaded. Usually, one can just switch back the circuit breaker. However, if it trips frequently, this is a sign of a dangerous problem in the residential electrical wiring. At some point, the breaker may stop tripping and cause an overload, which can overheat the wiring insulation and cause a fire.
Flickering or dimming lights
Light fixtures often use up just a small amount of power. Therefore, flickering or dimming lights are rarely caused by problems with the fixture. The most likely problem is with other energy hogs connected to the same electrical circuit. Major home appliances, like HVAC systems, often draw a great deal of power.
Burning and strange odors
Burning odors without an apparent source are an indication of short-circuiting due to old faulty wiring or loose connection. Burning odors indicate that fire damage has already started. Although new appliances may produce strong smells when powered up, a strange odor from an outlet is a serious warning of faulty electrical wiring, and homeowners should turn it off and disconnect anything connected to it.
A professionally installed and updated electrical wiring system and properly functioning appliances have a grounding element that safely disperses electrical power surges. Therefore, when a user touches an appliance and gets shocked, it means that the grounding element is faulty. The electrical wiring should be inspected by a professional electrician to prevent the problem from escalating to a more dangerous level.
Faulty electrical outlets
Faulty electrical outlets and light switches that work irregularly are signs of electrical wiring problems. Common faults may be an internally cracked device or loosened wiring. A loose plug is also a dangerous problem for residents in the house. The plug may fall out, and an unsuspecting occupant may end up receiving a nasty shock.
Chewed or frayed wiring
Pets, rodents or amateur handymen are the leading cause of these problems. Such wiring is shock and fire hazards, and the homeowner should contact a wiring installation professional or an electrical contractor to replace it.
Discoloration, smoke and scorch marks
Homeowners should always be on the lookout for discoloration and scorch marks on the outlet points of their homes. Discoloration and scorch marks are a clear sign that the wiring in the home has already been damaged and is releasing heat. When neglected, damage to the house may escalate.
Get help from a professional electrician
To protect your home from electrical fires, avoid diagnosing electrical problems, especially if you are not an experienced electrician. Contact a licensed electrician to inspect your wiring, and conduct any repairs when necessary. For professional assistance, click the link below.
Request an appointment here: https://www.exceptionalelectric.com or call Exceptional Electric at (636) 237-8435 for an appointment in our Kirkwood office.
Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Read our Yelp reviews.
Finding an electrician is something most homeowners do when they are experiencing problems with their home’s circuit breaker. While many times when a circuit breaker trips, all that needs to be done is pushing the lever back onto the on position in order to once again receive electricity to a certain area of the house.…
Commercial lighting solutions have a big role to fill. A commercial space needs to bridge the gap between comfortable, cost-efficient and practical. Commercial spaces are often bigger than private ones and are nearly always designed differently.No two spaces are the same, and it is important to properly survey a commercial area before choosing any lighting.…
If you are facing growing concerns over light pollution and the cost of your energy bill, you may look into installing an automated lighting control system for your home. Continually evolving developments in lightbulb technology alone have been enough to make many people reconsider ways they can make their homes more energy-efficient and convenient, and…